Monday, September 19, 2011

Sweet Potatoes

I love sweet potatoes, especially in the fall.  I thought I'd just share a few of my favorite dishes.

Sweet Potato Casserole
Of course, being southern and all, there is the standard sweet potato casserole. My version is a hybrid of many different recipes, many of which I have lost somewhere along the line. I just make it from memory but it goes a little something like this one from Paula Deen. Some people have issues with the marshmallow topping. Sometimes I add it, sometimes I don't. If you want to include it, just wait until after the casserole is finished baking, cover the top in mini marshmallows and broil them until they start to brown. This is tricky and you don't want to turn the dish into a black, burnt marshmallow mess, so just keep a close eye on it in the oven.

Paula Deen's Sweet Potato Bake

Sweet Potato Pancakes
Sweet potato pancakes are also fantastic in the Fall. I get Bruce's Sweet Potato Pancake Mix at The Fresh Market (although you're certainly welcome to make them from scratch....there are tons of recipes out there). The only adjustment I make, is that I usually add about twice the liquid than is listed in the recipe on the box. The mix is way too thick for me if you follow the directions. It's almost too thick to even pour.


Grilled Sweet Potato Slices
Before it gets too cold  to use your grill, another good idea for sweet potatoes is to grill slices. This post provides a good idea for how to cook them in the microwave to prepare for grilling (and you could also do this using the cubes on skewers technique instead of slices), but this is what I do:

First, peel them, then boil them for about 15 minutes or so..until they're starting to cook, but not mushy. Drain, let them cool, peel them, and then slice them. I brush them with a little oil and then throw them on the grill. Once they're done, use a pineapple or mango coconut pepper sauce (The Fresh Market also carries a very good store brand of this) to dip them in. They're also a good side for a little jerk chicken and maybe some black beans and rice!

Sweet Potato Brownies
I made these FANTASTIC Sweet Potato Brownies back in June. I found the recipe on Bake It Pretty. My only alteration to the recipe was that I used mashed sweet potatoes that I found in the refrigerated section at Wegmans, instead of shredding sweet potatos. I had a hard time finding good sweet potatoes at the grocery store in June, so I had to improvise. If you look at the photo on Bake It Pretty, hers are a little lighter than mine. I'm not sure if that's because of the type of molasses I used or if that's a result of using the mashed sweet potatoes in lieu of shredded. They tasted fantastic and I'm making them again for a birthday party in a few days.

Excuse the poor quality photo...I didn't plan to post them on the blog when I made them Bastille Day!
Sweet Potato Biscuits or Rolls
Once again, we're back to the Fresh Market. Maybe this should be a post about The Fresh Market. In the Fall they sell sweet potato biscuits in the bakery...just FYI. I love them with country ham. Maybe I should try them this year with a little bacon jam! Recently, I noticed in the frozen foods section that they carry these sweet potato & molasses rolls from Anna Mae Southern Bread Co. in Greensboro, NC. They're really good with rosemary ham (Trader Joe's), smoked Gouda (also Trader Joe's) and a little dijon mustard.

I haven't tried the others yet, but the sweet potato rolls are delish!!!

No comments: