Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Hooray for Raleigh-wood!

I'm just now getting around to posting about it, but the weekend of October 6-7 we had some fun down in Raleigh, NC. We met up with friends Stephen and Candy for Kampfest II (lite). We did Kampfest I with them back in May in Savannah and Charleston. Since we didn't actually camp this time, we went "lite" and stayed in a hotel. There weren't really any good cabins or rent or any other sort of campgrounds in the Raleigh area so it wasn't like we had a choice this time around.


Regardless, it was a great time. The weather was unseasonably warm with temps in the mid-to high 90s! We went to Durham on Saturday so Kirk and Stephen could go to a football game. BUT prior to meeting up in Durham, I went for a jog on Saturday morning and what did I see?????? The Paul Sedaris' Silly P's Hardwood Floors van! Almost peed myself!!!! Too bad I didn't get a photo. Anyway, we met in the morning in Durham and had brunch at George's Garage. DELICIOUS! While the guys when to the game, Candy and I just treked around Durham, and ended up having a lovely lunch at Foster's Market. WELL worth taking the time to visit! Durham has a cute downtown and I wish I'd had more time to really check it out. We also walked around the Sarah Duke Gardens on the lovely Duke University campus before heading back to Raleigh.

The front porch at Foster's Market



A flower in the Sarah Duke Gardens



On Saturday night we went to one of our most favorite places in Raleigh....Hideaway BBQ on Capital Boulevard. We had dinner (which ROCKED) and stayed for the Scott Miller and the Commonwealth concert. It was lots of fun. Lots of fun people watching too. The opening band was kind of weird. Can't say that we were too impressed. Just look at their website. ODD. I mean, I don't know...they're canadian right? what's up with the "being in the calvary" and what-not? It was just weird. And the songs. They were all based on some show he saw on the History Channel and then wrote about it. There was a song about the Cossacks. Really? He needs a journal. Not a band. He made me tired.

Kirk and Stephen outside Hideaway BBQ

Then on Sunday we just hung around in Raleigh. I had to make a trip to Panopolie, of course. We went downtown for a bit...walked around the City Market and Historic Oakwood, and then had dinner at The Barbecue Lodge, which was SKEEERRRRYY. Very skeery!

Stephen takes his responsibilities as a NC resident very seriously. While in Moore Square downtown, he took the time to make sure the City's acorn was safely on its pedestal.


The City Market

A front porch in Oakwood

Monday morning we had a quick snack on Hillsborough Street by the NCSU campus and then Stephen and Candy headed back home. Kirk and I were in Raleighwood for a good part of the day on Monday. I had fun taking lots of photos in the Glenwood/Brooklyn area; went to Nofo at the Pig up in Five Points, a quick trip to Ornamentea (Panopolie's sister store downtown) etc. etc. It was a great trip and I can't wait for another fun trip to Raleigh in the near future!!!!






No comments: